by Annie Watson
This summer Erika Jelinek moved from LA to be OES’s very own new librarian! And just in case you weren’t sure the school could find someone perfect for the job, I have compiled a list of reasons why Erika is pretty awesome.
- She has a Deathly Hallows tattoo, a Mockingjay tattoo, and a NeverEnding Story sleeve.
- If she couldn’t be a librarian, she’d be a wildlife biologist and/or photographer. (She almost majored in Biology, but switched to English).
- She has a Firefly poster in her office. (As well as one of those librarian action figures that I’ve low key wanted, but wouldn’t pay $14.99 for).
- Her favorite quote: “Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic” -J.K. Rowling.
- Her response to being asked if she has a personal library was “Oh yes.” (It’s stocked with her all-time favorites).
- She’s had some pretty cool past jobs, such as teaching an English as a Second Language class, a “lot of librarianing”, working with the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA), and working at a witch store called, The Magic Moon, in Saratoga Springs, NY. (Erika says she was hired for having good energy, which I second).
- She is both a dog and cat person, and has an adorable calico named Newt.
- Her favorite place to read is on her mom’s famously comfy couch.
- She wanted to be a librarian to help people in a meaningful way, such as with her passion to literature.
10. If she could make any fictional character real, it would be either Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or Iorek Byrnison (Your-ick Bear-nison).
Who is that? you may wonder.
An armored polar bear from her favorite book series, His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman. I respect that.
So, instead of buying seven books to toss on your “To be Read” stack, go chat with Erika and find a personalized new read to keep you entertained in the cold weather.