My Experience…

By Nisma Qureshi

In continuation of my “My Experience” series, I recently had to get my booster at school in the middle of the Chapel, and now I’m writing about it.

On January 8th 2022, I woke up early on Saturday. First of all, waking up early on a Saturday is a crime and something I wish no one ever has to do in their lifetime. I woke up earlier than required so that I could get some fresh air and exercise, because I knew later on my body would be too weak to move. I had done all my homework on Friday, in preparation for my planned sickness. 

I got dressed, and frantically got in the car. I was a total of two minutes late, and my parents were very nervous. We arrived at the school and I saw a few of my fellow 9th grade classmates, waiting in the cold to get their booster. 

When we got to the check-in table, we were directed to follow a set of colorful arrows on the floor. I was relatively nervous, I always am when I get shots. So, I went to the first person I saw. I asked for the shot to be in my left arm, because I’m right-handed. I was then asked if I was nervous or worried, so clearly I wasn’t hiding it very well. I then tried distracting myself by talking. I spoke about how I did all my homework, and cleaned my room in preparation for the booster. I was then told that I was very smart for planning ahead.

All of a sudden, I felt a strange feeling in my arm and realized that a needle was now in my arm. It ended relatively quickly, and I was directed to sit in the Chapel for a total of fifteen minutes.  Fifteen very very long minutes. I sat next to my parents, who insisted that they stay with me the entire time. I was very thankful for how caring they were that day. I have discovered after three rounds of COVID vaccinations, waiting for fifteen minutes is near impossible. I sat and watched as people got their boosters and slowly started filling the Chapel. I watched people converse and talk about what had happened that weekend. I watched people walk into the Chapel, in their pajamas.

Eventually, my mother’s timer finally went off and I was finally able to leave. I had forgotten to rub my arm during the fifteen minutes, which normally helps with soreness. When I told my mom she said that I had made a “dumb mistake” and then hugged me. I learned later on that she was definitely right.

Three days later, I’m skipping class Monday and I am writing this article in my bed. I’ll let you know when the booster symptoms end.